What is eye trauma and what is the first aid for it?
What is Eye Trauma: Common causes of eye injury include domestic accidents assault, sporting injuries and motor vehicle crashes .Injury may be to the eyeball (globe), surrounding soft tissues (including muscles, nerves, and tendons), and/or bones of the orbit. There are many different forms of trauma, varying in severity from minor injury to medical emergencies. Even in cases where trauma seems minor, every eye injury should be given medical attention.
What Causes Eye Trauma?
When the eye is hit with blunt force, it suddenly compresses and retracts. This can cause blood to collect underneath the hit area, which leads to many of the common symptoms of eye trauma.
Symptoms of Eye Trauma: Its include
- Trouble seeing
- Cuts to the eyelid
- One eye not moving as well
- One eye sticks out
- Blood in the clear part of the eye
- Unusual pupil size or shape
- Something embedded in the eye
- Something under the eyelid that cannot be easily removed
First aid for eye injuries: Any kind of injury or trauma to the eyes should be taken seriously. Prompt medical attention for eye problems can save your vision and prevent further complications.
(A) Chemical exposure:
- Don’t rub eyes.
- Immediately wash out the eye with lots of water. Use whatever is closest — water fountain, shower, garden hose.
- Get medical help while you are doing this, or after 15 to 20 minutes of continuous flushing
- Don’t bandage the eye.
(B) For a blow to the Eye:
- Apply a cold compress, but don’t put pressure on the eye.
- Take pain killer recommended by your doctor.
- If there is bruising, bleeding, change in vision, or it hurts when your eye moves, see a doctor right away.
(c) If any foreign particle in eye:
- Don’t rub the eye.
- Pull the upper lid down and blink repeatedly.
- If particle is still there, rinse with eyewash.
- If rinsing doesn’t help, close eye, bandage it lightly, and see a doctor.
Dr. Inder Mohan Rustagi (MBBS, M.S, OPHTHALMOLOGY) at Triveni Multi-specialty Hospital, Gurugram in known for better care and consulting for Eye Trauma and Eye Treatments .it’s better to contact and take proper advice in right time for safe care of eye.